.

-

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Live: SKATERS Album Release Gig, Bowery Ballroom, NYC 24/2/2014

Last night, I attended SKATERS' album release party at the Bowery Ballroom in New York City. SKATERS are an up and coming band based here in NYC. None of the band members are originally from New York but they all ended up here working as bartenders. These experiences are detailed on their debut album "Manhattan," out today in the US and yesterday in the UK.



I really hate to put a label on them because they're many different things. First off, with band members from Boston, LA and England you've got a fairly interesting, diverse set of influences right there. I would describe their sound as skater-punk with a huge dose of indie rock mixed in.



I know it was a Monday, but for a hometown album release show I felt the crowd was pretty weak to start out and only started to get into it a bit by the middle of the set when they played the single "Deadbolt" and "Miss Teen Massachusetts". SKATERS had great energy throughout their set and were very enjoyable to watch on stage.

One of my personal favorite things about seeing newer bands play is they'll play some covers to help fill out their set. I enjoy seeing what they pick because I feel it tells you a lot about the band. Their first cover was "This Charming Man" by The Smiths which was a lot of fun. They ended the encore with an electrifying cover of "Territorial Pissings" by Nirvana that went down well with the crowd.

Maybe I connect with them so much because I too moved to NYC from elsewhere, just like them, but I can't help but find this album to be special. They ended the main set with "To Be Young in NYC" which is essentially what they're all about. It's a rallying cry of sorts for their fan base and was slightly surreal for me to be singing along with it while finally being in NYC.

SKATERS are a great up and coming band who I hope to see big things from in the future. They're touring England starting on Thursday, and I'd highly recommend catching a show if you can. Also go buy "Manhattan" now, you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment